Information about the place:
Dzhumaya Mosque – It is a central Muslim temple in the city. It was built in the time of sultan Murad II (1421 - 1451) on the place of a destroyed church devoted to Saint Petka Tarnovska. It is one of the oldest Ottoman religious constructions on the Balkans. The building is performed in the so called “cellular construction”, which suggests the influence of the Byzantine Medieval building technique. The hall for prayers measures 33 to 27 meters. The roof contains nine vaults covered with lead. In 1878 a sun-dial was placed on the south-west corner of the forefront. It was endowed by a Russian army officer.